Field Service Technician Job Description
Reports to: Director of Technical Services
Department: 200 Service
Date of Preparation: 19 October 2005
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary Functions: Provide remarkable customer service by traveling to customer locations to install, service, and train customers on all MetalForming equipment.
Supervision of others: None
Travel required: 80% (domestic and international)
Titles: This position reports to the Director of Technical Service who reports to the Executive Vice President
Nature and Scope: MetalForming Inc. is the North American leader in metal fabricating machinery technology. The company sells and services high quality metal folders, shears, rollformers, press brakes, and automation from the most respected manufacturers across the globe.
This position works with mechanical, hydraulic, electronics, and electrical equipment as a part of the sheet metal fabricating technology.
Key Responsibilities: (1) Customer service (2) Machine Installation (3) Training on machines (4) Machine Service (5) Accurate Documentation
- Installation of machines
- Check for proper machine voltages
- Align and level the machine as necessary
- Properly install all machine accessories
- Test machines for proper functions
- Perform tests with material assuring proper bends and dimensions
- Training on Machines
- Train customers on part programming
- Train customers on full functions of controls
- Train customers on machine functions and limitations
- Train customers on location and operation of safety switches
- Train junior personnel on all functions of equipment
- Servicing of Machines
- Identify machine problems
- Troubleshoot the machine to identify the cause of the problem
- Read and understand electrical schematics, mechanical drawings and hydraulic flow charts
- Utilize voltmeters to test voltage and current readings
- Know the functions of electrical and hydraulic components within the machine
- Replace defective components
- Clearly communicate machine updates to the customer and management of Metalforming
- General Responsibilities
- Fill out detailed Service Reports and turn them in within the week
- Prepare accurate Expense Reports
- Check in every morning.
- Check out every evening upon finishing work for the day
Education and Experience Requirements: This position requires a valid Drivers License. This job requires a background in electronics or heavy machinery with a preference for CNC or PLC experience. Strong oral skills and ability to read schematics desired.
Physical Context/Work Environment: Work is typically conducted in a factory or warehouse, where you may be subject to noise, dirt, vibration, and heat. This position involves heavy lifting up to 80lbs and part manipulation. Work may be conducted in a variety of positions. This position is subject to stringent safety guidelines and wearing of personal protective equipment.
Competencies: Customer oriented, technical ability, initiative, independent